A History of Local Family Farms, Friendship and Community
The original farmers’ market opened in early 2010 in downtown Turlock, serving the community on Fridays. As we searched for a permanent location, a council member suggested placing the market near Westside neighborhoods to help benefit underserved areas and give students from Wakefield and Osborn elementary schools easy access for field trips. We found our original home on Broadway Street, where we operated for the first five seasons.
We relocated to Main Street between Center and Palm Streets in 2015 and made a long-awaited change to Saturday mornings, which was requested by our vendors. We kept the same 8 a.m.-1 p.m. hours, and pretty soon thousands of people were spending their Saturday mornings among a bounty of harvest-fresh produce from local family farms.
In 2016 TCFM made the move to the Stanislaus County Fairgrounds, returning to the location of the very first melon festival in Turlock in 1912.